Wednesday, March 30, 2011

English Oatmeal Bread p. 180

I was so proud of myself today - I found time to bake after lunch. And it was a loaf that needed the oats to soak for 2 hours! The recipe says it makes 2 loaves or 2 dozen buns, so I made one big loaf and the rest into 4 buns. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day here so I raised everything in my nice, sunny window. It was a beautiful loaf - it rose up tall, smooth and even.  Everything looked perfect, and as I was sliding the loaf into the oven, I got a case of the clumsies and bumped it against the oven frame. POOF! Out went all the air I just rose into it for the last hour or so. Sigh. Since the oven was hot already, I didn't want to wait for it to rise again and I baked it anyway. But really, It would have been better if I had waited.
The buns turned out beautifully. I tried one. Could have used more salt (but I didn't use the full amount the recipe called for since we're trying to limit salt here). It tasted a bit like my morning oatmeal, but it was good. The children loved them and kept coming back for more. It was soft and had a slightly stickier texture than my "usual" bread. I did forget the step of the egg wash and the oatmeal coating over the loaf.  Oops! So my loaf looks ugly but tastes fine. I will make this recipe again. The amounts called for worked out beautifully. I know I could also make this with left-over cooked oatmeal instead of soaked oats. I will try that someday!

My sunken, ugly loaf and plain, nice buns. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment