Friday, March 11, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie

This has to be my favorite pie - Lemon Meringue. I used to hate meringue and so when I made pie just for myself, I would beat the egg whites in with the filling and that was just fine with me. In the years since, my taste buds have mellowed, I married and had 4 children. Now I make pie with meringue on top.
Some of the children love it, some like it, everyone eats it. Some leave the crust, others, the meringue. I finish what they don't and we're all happy! I got the recipe from the lemon juice, Realemon. For an even better pie, make this with fresh squeezed lemon juice in place of the Realemon and add a tsp of lemon zest. Awesome lemon flavor!

Realemon Meringue Pie
1             9 inch baked pastry shell
1 1/3 cup sugar
6 Tbsp     cornstarch
1/2 cup    Realemon juice
1 1/2 cup boiling water
4              eggs, separated
2 Tbsp     butter
1/4 tsp     cream of tartar
1/3 cup    sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/3 cups sugar and cornstarch. Add Realemon.
In a small bowl, beat egg yolks. Add to Realemon mixture.
Gradually add water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and thickens. (About 8-10 minutes).
Remove from heat. Add butter. Stir until melted. Pour into prepared pastry shell.
In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry. Spread on top of pie, sealing carefully to edge of shell. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Chill before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

Enjoy a delicious pie every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment